Play On Philly 2020-21 School Year
Play On Philly provides underserved children in Philadelphia a transformative music education experience that develops and inspires the behaviors and personal skills needed for a successful life.
Policies and Details
- POP is excited to offer virtual programming to students from K-12 both in the Philadelphia region and nationwide. We offer programming is age and skill-level appropriate for a variety of young beginners to older instrumentalists.
- During this unusual time, POP recognizes the unique challenges families may face and have reduced the 2020-21 participation fee because of these circumstances. To register, families must pay a non-refundable participation fee of $25 per session. The first payment is due upon registration. Before each new 10-week session, families will be asked to pay the next session’s fee.
- All virtual classes will take place in Zoom meetings. To provide an engaging and community-oriented learning environment, it is essential for students to activate their cameras during class. If this may be a barrier for your child to participate, please contact us.
- To maintain the security of our classes, we will use a universal password for all classes. This will be emailed to families before classes begin.
- Our teachers will use the online learning platform, Edmodo, as the primary method of communication with students. Using Edmodo, you’ll be able to view and turn in assignments, respond to polls, and contribute to conversations. For more information on this, watch the Student and Family Orientation.
- When a student logs into their Zoom class, we require that they change their username to display their full name so we may check them against the class roster.
Accessing Your Classes
- When programming begins, click the Access Your Classes button above. This link will take you to a page for students to select the appropriate class, and they will be able to enter that class.
Divisions and Schedules
Students will be placed into one of three divisions based on their grade, experience and instrument:
- Division 1: Pre-Instrumental
- Division 2: Early Instrumental
- Division 3: Instrumental
Each of these is broken into subdivisions based on grade. To find out which division your student will be placed in, please complete our Eligibility Survey.
Each subdivision class meets three times per week (all times are Eastern Standard Time):
- Division 1:
- Pre-Instrumental K-2: Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday, 3:30-4:15pm
- Pre-Instrumental 3-4: Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday, 3:30-4:15pm
- Pre-Instrumental 5-7: Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday, 4:45-5:45pm
- Division 2:
- Early Instrumental 1-2: Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday, 3:30-4:15pm
- Early Instrumental 3-4: Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday, 3:30-4:15pm
- Division 3:
- Strings 4-7: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, 4:45-5:45pm
- Winds, Brass and Percussion 4-7: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, 4:45-5:45pm
- Strings 8-12: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, 3:30-4:30pm
- Winds, Brass and Percussion 8-12: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, 3:30-4:30pm
The POP year is divided into four parts:
- Session 1: October – December
- Session 2: January – Early March
- Session 3: Mid-March – June
- Summer Program: July – August
If a student enrolls in our programming, they are automatically enrolled in all three school year sessions (assuming they have eligibility for in-person programming).
Key Session 2 Dates
- Classes Begin: Wednesday, January 6th
- MLK Day, No POP: Monday, January 18th
- Last Day of Classes: Friday, March 12th
We are uncertain when Play On Philly will be back in person. When conditions are safe enough to allow for in-person classes, we will inform all families by email with ample notice. In the meantime, we are collecting all information from eligible families to simplify that future transition.
Eligibility for In-Person Programming
A student’s eligibility for in-person programming is based on their school, grade, and level of experience:
- Returning POP students are automatically eligible for in-person programming.
- Some students, while welcome to join our virtual programming, will not be eligible for in-person programming.
- To determine your student’s eligibility for any of the above, please complete our Eligibility Survey.